Panel 2: Entrepreneurship In Tourism – A Chance Towards Female Empowerment
March 5, 2020
17:00 - 17:45
CityCube Berlin, Hall A1
- The empowerment of women is one of the most effective methods to foster positive change in emerging and developing economies.
- Female entrepreneurs tend to be discouraged by social and cultural constructs, lacking access to start-up financing, knowledge about business management and political conditions.
- Unfortunately, the tourism industry is no exemption.
- Yet, although women account for the biggest share of workers in the tourism industry, there is a clear lack of women in leadership positions in this sector.
- With the female panelists we discuss how tourism can be an industry of change for women entrepreneurs in our partner countries.
- Experience has shown, the more dynamic a sector is, the more opportunities for an inclusive participation arise, especially in times of rapid transformation in technology and digitalization.
- Moreover, we debate questions about gender equality in business, participation and access opportunities to tourism markets and leadership from the perspective of female champions and experts in tourism.
Johanna Klotz, German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Dr. Merjam Wakili, Freelance Moderator, Trainer and Consultant
Neha Arora, Founder, Planet Abled
Karla Luzette Beteta Brenes, Agency for Economy & Development
Angela Kalisch, Chair, Equality in Tourism International
Julia Karst, Head of Project, Economic Empowerment of Women Entrepreneurs and Start-ups by Women, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)